Monday, October 25, 2010

hello, my name is _______

Every day we walk around getting to know people, finding out tidbits of information about people we already know very well, or random facts about complete strangers, like where they got their shoes, or whether or not they like cold weather. We go around placing pieces into the puzzle of others' personalities, wondering if we are close to finishing the picture, or if we have nothing more than the border. It's very satisfactory, I have found, to become acquainted with someone who wants to actively get to know me, who wants to sit and piece together the puzzle that is me, who tries to get to know me instead of doing so by mere chance.

Sometimes I think I talk too much. Maybe other people are right, the people who keep everything inside and hide under their protective shell like hermit crabs. Because when you don't surrender information, there's no chance of that information being rejected.

Then again, maybe they're wrong. Openness in a relationship creates unity, trust, peace.

"Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe
with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words,
but pouring them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together,
certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them,
keep what is worth keeping, and with a breath of kindness
blow the rest away."
-Dinah Craik

Open book
hermit crab
chaff and grain
faithful hand.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

agHHHHH



i heart!!!


jm


i wanna geta kno ya :)

jessica renae said...

everyone that knows you is blessed because are you are not a hermit crab. this post is border line poetry... it's been a while. when do i get to read some more? :)

Anonymous said...

Hello, my name is Beth and I love you and I think you should come inside and talk to me. And I miss you and I love what you write and runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnning on sentences are fun to fun to you.